Monday, July 24, 2017

George A. Romero (1940–2017)


I was fortunate enough to meet George Romero at the now defunct FX Toy Show in Orlando. There was hardly any line, which was very different from when he attends a horror convention. I feel I was lucky to meet him this way, because I got to speak to him without a huge crowd and a lot of noise. He told me he was going to working on adapting the Stephen King book From a Buick 8. I had told him how much I enjoyed his living dead movies. It was a really cool experience.


While I am not a huge fan of every George Romero film, I like many of them and love his series of zombie movies. (with the exception of Survival of the Dead) Night of The Living Dead is one of my favorite horror films of all time. It never fails to get to me. I love watching it at night with the lights off. It is truly a perfect horror film. I do not think we would have many movies or shows, such as The Walking Dead, without George Romero's influence. Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) recently said he would not have the career he has now without George Romero.


It is so very sad that George Romero passed away last week. The horror community has lost an irreplaceable legend. If life sometimes imitates art, maybe we will see George again one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment